Foreverfamily would not be where we are without the loyal support of individuals, foundations, corporations and government agencies. You can help us continue to bring hope to our kids.
Our single, biggest need is unrestricted support. When you allow us to apply your gift of cash (or appreciated securities) where it is most needed, we are diligent in making sure that your gift derives its best possible return.
Please make a donation below or contact us at (404) 223-1200. Thank you!
If you want to Sponsor a Child for the 2019 5K4Kids, please add “Sponsor a Child” as a note with your donation.
Foreverfamily’s Wish List
We are often asked if we have a wish list and yes, we do! Below is a list of our organization’s needs (and wants!). We thank you and your community for helping us ensure that every child gets what’s deserved — our very best and lots of love.
On-Going Items We Need:
- Family Connect –donations of $5-$20 help Foreverfamily cover some of the cost associated with children communicating with their parents who are incarcerated. We encourage parents to call and send letters as these are great ways for children to know their loved ones are thinking about them. Individuals who are incarcerated and families must cover the cost of these services through a private provider called JPay. Each service must be paid for separately and can be costly to the children’s caregivers, many who are already struggling financially.
- Gas Gift Cards (increments of $25 or $50 preferred)
- Visa, Kroger, Walmart (or other similar store) Gift Cards – these help us with the day to day expenses at program, such as healthy snacks, materials for activities, as well as unforeseen needs. For example, when we did tennis lessons, some kids couldn’t participate because they didn’t have tennis shoes. For swimming lessons, we had to purchase a few suits for those who did not have them. Gift cards allow us to meet the on-going, real needs of our families.
- Gift Cards for oil changes – these are used to keep up with the maintenance of the two vehicles we use.
- Tablets (iPad or other) and Laptops – while new devices are preferred, we will gratefully accept your old devices, but please, only donate devices that are in good working order. If you wouldn’t give it to your child as a gift, please do not gift it to ours either.
- Kitchen mats – we are looking for the long, foam type mats that don’t slip, catch water and are easy to clean. Our kitchen gets a lot of use. These mats will help make sure it’s a safe and usable area. Target and Costco (among other places) sell them. To see an example, visit Target’s website. They have one called NewLife by GelPro (in red).
- Kid’s cutting knives – they sell sets on Amazon. Our kids help us prepare our vegetarian snacks and meals. Safety is our number one priority. These knives will allow the younger kids to be involved without risk of injury.
Items We Dream About and Really Want:
- Portable Washing Machine – each month, we wash over 100 blankets and neck pillows the children use to keep warm on the bus during the long distance rides to the prison to see their parents.
- Steam Vacuum – something that can clean and disinfect floors as well as upholstery.
- Computer Tables – we secured a grant that allowed us to purchase 6 new computer tables. We are in need of two more. They can be purchased at Office Depot. Call us at 404-223-1200 to get the SKU number.
- Van – We are hoping someone will be able to donate a new van that is in good condition.
If you have any questions about these items or wish to help fulfill our dreams, please contact Sandra Barnhill, National President, at email@example.com or 404-223-1200. Thank you in advance for your support and generosity.
Other Ways to Give
There are many other ways you can help. If you choose, you can elect to support some of our specific programs:
FAMILY VISITATION PROGRAM
We provide free transportation every month so that kids can visit their parents in prison. Due to the distance of the prisons and cost, for many, we are the only way they get to see their parent. You can help us defray the cost of transportation by covering the cost of a roundtrip Uber or Lyft, providing a gas card so that families with a car have gas and/or breakfast items or food for lunch for these long-distance visits.
YOUNG ENTREPRENEURS PROGRAM
Designed specifically for young people 16-26 who have a good business idea, we help develop their skills and their businesses by covering the initial costs for business cards, website, and a business plan. Help us by providing funds for materials and expenses.
Foreverfamily is proud of the accomplishments of children graduating our programs and going on to college. The Ruth & Ed Dressel Scholarship Fund was established by Paula Dressel, Foreverfamily’s first Board President, in memory of her parents. This Fund provides scholarship money for selected young adults in our program who are graduating from high school and heading to college. Contributions are appreciated.
The Foreverfamily Endowment account is managed by the Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta. We picked The Community Foundation because of the strength of its asset management and its involvement in the Atlanta community. The endowment is currently small, but we are working to build it. For large contributions, we can offer certain tax planning counsel. Please call us for more information.
In addition to cash gifts, we are happy to receive certain types of in-kind gifts:
- Neck pillows and blankets for children to use to keep warm on the buses during the long rides to the prisons
- Vans/buses with a driver to help us transport our young people to the prisons to visit their parents
- Birthday cakes for monthly birthday parties for the children.
- Tickets to athletic events that can be used by our kids and volunteer chaperones. Other types of entertainment tickets may also be welcomed.
- Subscriptions for books and magazines for children and teens.